Christ Is Mine Forevermore

"And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, 'Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?' And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, 'Peace! Be Still!' And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, 'Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?' And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, 'Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?'" Mark 4:37-41

That passage comes to mind as I watch the weather news of Hurricane Milton making landfall just south of Tampa, Florida. The power and fury of these storms is crazy to think about. And with just three words, our Lord and Savior can halt the storm dead in its tracks.

In 2016, CityAlight released this song on their Only A Holy God album. It addresses the difficult truth of the Christian life: hardship with hope. It's a beautiful song that speaks to the difficulties of life while encouraging and reminding us of the promises and faithfulness of Jesus Christ.

Verse 1

Mine are days that God has numbered

I was made to walk with Him

Yet I look for worldly treasure

And forsake the King of kings

But mine is hope in my Redeemer

Though I fall His love is sure

For Christ has paid for every failing

I am His forevermore


Psalm 51:3 says, "For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me." Every day, we must confess our sins, and as such, we're constantly aware of our need for a savior. Mattew records Jesus's words to the Pharisees and people standing around him, "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone." The offensiveness of Jesus's words towards the Pharisees was palpable. But He clearly highlights that we cannot achieve righteousness through works. He is our Redeemer; His blood has washed us clean of our failure.


Verse 2

Mine are tears in times of sorrow

Darkness not yet understood

Through the valley I must travel

Where I see no earthly good

But mine is peace that flows from heaven

And the strength in times of need

I know my pain will not be wasted

Christ completes His work in me


Two Scriptures come to mind when meditating on Verse 2. Psalm 23:4 says, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." We all face trials in our lives. We all face tragedy and loss, and we all face our own bodily death. But, the hope we have in Christ is not simply for better or easier times. Paul writes to the Philippians, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." We don't experience suffering void of reason and purpose. As James tells us in 1:4, "And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." It is not we who make things right, but Christ. He is ever faithful to us, and He produces faithfulness in us. 


Verse 3

Mine are days here as a stranger

Pilgrim on a narrow way

One with Christ I will encounter

Harm and hatred for His name

But mine is armour for this battle

Strong enough to last the war

And He has said He will deliver

Safely to the golden shore


An old Jim Reeves song comes to mind, "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door. And I can't feel at home in this world anymore." With that joyful sentiment comes a difficult reality. As Jesus tells us in John 15:19, "If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." "But mine is armour for this battle, strong enough to last the war." That's such a beautiful picture of God's provision. He doesn't just give us armor for the battle, but armor that will last the entire war. Many of us are familiar with Paul's words in Ephesians 6 about putting on the armor of God. And, our fight is not against flesh and blood. But, going further, we read in Eph. 6:14-18, "Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication." His armor is strong. Strong enough to "last the war."


Chorus 4

And mine are keys to Zion city

Where beside the King I walk

For there my heart has found its treasure

Christ is mine forevermore


Matthew 6:21, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Our treasure is Christ. 


Come rejoice now O my soul

For His love is my reward

Fear is gone and hope is sure

Christ is mine forevermore


Psalm 118:6, "The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" We can rejoice in the fact that nothing can separate us from the Love of Christ (Romans 8:38-39) and that Jesus told us in John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you." And also, in Matthew 28:20, Jesus said, "And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." 





Comments

Popular Posts

Jesus Is Alive

Awake My Heart With Gladness

Jesus I My Cross Have Taken