Awake My Heart With Gladness

In Catholic circles, this coming Sunday is referred to as Passion Sunday. It precedes Palm Sunday by one week, signaling the coming end of Lent and helping to focus the church on the work of the Cross. You might ask, “I’m not Catholic so why are we talking about what the Catholics do?” Well, I’m not Catholic either. But I do believe that as we approach Holy Week, it is good to prepare our hearts for this very special church season and focused time of remembrance. This hymn, written by German clergyman Paul Gerhardt in the mid-1600s gives us language to do just that. 

“The cross is the suffering love of God bearing the guilt of man’s sin, which alone is able to melt the sinner’s heart and bring him to repentance for salvation.” Billy Graham. 

As we prepare for worship on Sunday morning, let us apply the work of the Cross to our hearts, and awaken "with gladness"!

Awake, my heart, with gladness–
see what today is done!
Now, after gloom and sadness,
comes forth the glorious sun.
My Savior there was laid
where our bed must be made
when to the realms of light
our spirit wings its flight.

The foe in triumph shouted
when Christ lay in the tomb;
but lo, he now is routed,
his boast is turned to gloom.
For Christ again is free;
in glorious victory
he who is strong to save
has triumphed o'er the grave.

This is a sight that gladdens—
what peace it does impart!
Now nothing ever saddens
the joy within my heart.
No gloom shall ever shake,
no foe shall ever take
the hope which God's own Son
in love for me has won

Now I will cling forever
to Christ, my Savior dear,
My Lord will leave me never;
with him I need not fear.
He rends death's iron chain;
he breaks through sin and pain.
He shatters hell's dark thrall;
I follow Him through all.

He brings me to the portal
that leads to bliss untold,
whereon this rhyme immortal
is found in script of gold:
"Who there my cross has shared
finds here a crown prepared;
who there with me has died
shall here be glorified."

 

“Awake, My Heart, With Gladness” was written by Paul Gerhardt, and published by German composer Johann Crüger in 1648. In 1867, John Kelly translated it into English. The version we sing at Valley was arranged by Karen Gibson in 2019.

Comments

Popular Posts

Jesus Is Alive

There Is A Fountain