Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior

It was while Fanny Crosby was visiting a prison, that she heard a prisoner cry out, “Good Lord, do not pass me by.” Later that evening, she wrote this hymn. Sometime later, thanks to D.L. Moody introducing the hymn in his revival ministry, this became Crosby’s first hymn of worldwide acclaim.

Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
Hear my humble cry,
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

In Genesis 18:3, Abraham sees three men approaching the road and recognizes them as the Lord and two angels. He runs out to greet them and begs them to stop and stay. In verse 4, Abraham offers to wash their feet and bring them bread. In verse 5, the Lord accepts.

The inspiration for this hymn is a prisoner crying out in his confined distress. What a metaphor. Humbly, we seek the freedom that life with Jesus offers us.  Gentle Savior, please do not pass me by. Stay with me. Be by my side. If only for a moment.

Let me at a throne of mercy
Find a sweet relief;
Kneeling there in deep contrition,
Help my unbelief.

Psalm 51:17 “…A broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” We are never turned away when we approach the Lord with a repentant heart. Psalm 136: “His mercy endures forever.” In Mark 9, we read of the father of a young boy possessed by a demon, asking Jesus to heal him. When Jesus speaks of His requirement of belief, the father quickly responds and says, “I believe, help my unbelief!” Even tho his faith was incomplete, Jesus did not withhold His power.

Trusting only in Thy merit,
Would I seek Thy face;
Heal my wounded, broken spirit,
Save me by Thy grace.

Living in a fallen world has its share of pain. And it’s that pain that so often directs us to Him. In Matthew 9:20-22, we read of the woman who, in verse 21, “said to herself, ‘If I only touch his garment, I will be made well.'” She was distraught and without any other option. She was imprisoned by her condition and she needed freedom that only Jesus could offer. She trusted and sought Him for her healing and brokenness. And, watching Him pass her by, she runs out to Him.

Thou the Spring of all my comfort,
More than life to me,
Whom have I on earth beside Thee?
Whom in heav’n but Thee?

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 “…God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” That’s a lot of comfort. But this is who God is. He is “more than life” to us. This earth can offer us no one like Him. Heaven can offer no one but Him.

Refrain:
Savior, Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

There has been, over the years, much discussion as to the exegesis of scripture found in this hymn. Mainly, there is no basis for Jesus to pass anyone by, as His death and resurrection were universal. But, let's not get too far in the weeds, shall we? Jesus did not heal everyone He came in contact with. He does not heal everyone who calls upon Him. God’s grace and mercy are available to all. But all are not to experience freedom from affliction in this earthly life.

Humbly we approach the throne of mercy. Trusting in God’s faithfulness to us. Acknowledging Him as the source of our comfort. Lord, Lord, if it be your will, do not pass us by. Sit by our side. Recline at our table. For You are called upon by many. Hear our cry for mercy, our cry for help, our cry for healing. Hear us we pray. Do not pass us by.

 

Comments

Popular Posts

Jesus Is Alive

Awake My Heart With Gladness

There Is A Fountain