How Deep The Father's Love For Us

How many of you memorized John 3:16 as a child? When you read that reference, do you automatically start reciting the verse in your head? I do. It’s ingrained, second nature, part of me, innate. “For God so loved…”
The beginning of the verse is often just that—the beginning. Much of the time and emphasis is spent on the later half of the verse, “that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” But the beginning is immensely important to our understanding of God.”…that he gave his only Son…”
This song, “How Deep The Father’s Love For Us” began as a melody in Stuart Townend’s head, according to his own testimony of how it was written. He then was inspired to write lyrics telling the story of Christ’s work on the cross, from the perspective of the Father. The Father who, out of His deep love for us, “vast beyond all measure”, gave His Son “to make a wretch His treasure.”
That wretch is me. That wretch is you. It’s the same wretch we sing about in Amazing Grace. “How deep the Father’s love for us” that he bore the “great pain of searing loss”. That loss is the loss of His Son. As a father, I cannot handle the imaginative imagery it takes to comprehend what Abraham was going to do to Isaac, much less what God Almighty did with Jesus. I simply cannot comprehend the anguish.
In verse 2, Stuart reminds us just how personal this is. “My sin upon His shoulders”. “My sin that held Him there”. “Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice”. Yesterday, this morning, or this afternoon, will my mocking voice further convict me? In the busyness of our lives, we mock Jesus without so much as a second thought. We go on about our day as though He’s only there on Sunday, or during our morning quiet time, or in our evening prayers. Life is hard, and I, for one, struggle with the “I can do it myself” mantra playing softly in my head. Maybe you struggle with that too.
“Until it was accomplished, His dying breath has brought me life; I know that it is finished.” It is finished. We have forgiveness. We have life now. Our culture, in many aspects, longs for things to be settled, finished, complete, and never have to be redone. In Christ, we find that peace, that constant, that stability we long for. I know for myself, I forget that over and over. Not that I forget Christ died and rose again. But I forget that I can “rest my weary soul in thee” (lyrics from O Love That Will Not Let Me Go).
“I will not boast in anything”. Paul says in Galations 6:14, “But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ…” “No gifts, no power, no wisdom, But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection”.
“Why should I gain from His reward?” Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. Christ lived a sinless life, and He was put to death. We live a sinful life and are offered eternal life by grace through faith. Stuart rightly says, “I cannot give an answer”. “But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom.”
This is the foundation of our faith. Jesus the Messiah dying for what we have done or not done, what we have yet to do, what our children and grandchildren have yet to do, and what our ancestors did. How deep?! How deep must the Father’s love be that He sent His only Son to pay the penalty for the sin of the world? The world He created out of that same love. The world in which His creation betrayed Him. How deep? How deep indeed.
How deep the Father’s love for usHow vast beyond all measureThat He should give His only SonTo make a wretch His treasureHow great the pain of searing lossThe Father turns His face awayAs wounds which mar the Chosen OneBring many sons to glory
Behold the man upon a crossMy sin upon His shouldersAshamed, I hear my mocking voiceCall out among the scoffersIt was my sin that held Him thereUntil it was accomplishedHis dying breath has brought me lifeI know that it is finished
I will not boast in anythingNo gifts, no power, no wisdomBut I will boast in Jesus ChristHis death and resurrectionWhy should I gain from His reward?I cannot give an answerBut this I know with all my heartHis wounds have paid my ransom

Comments

Popular Posts

Jesus Is Alive

Awake My Heart With Gladness

There Is A Fountain