Grace

This is a wonderfully simple yet rich song about the grace of our God. It comes to us from CityAlight (Nikki Shepherd, Jonny Robinson, and Rich Thompson) on their “Only A Holy God” album from 2016.

Verse 1
Your grace that leads this sinner homeFrom death to life foreverAnd sings this song of righteousnessBy blood and not by merit
 
I love how the first verse goes right to the heart of the matter for Christians. We’re sinners. And we’re brought from “death to life forever” because and only because of the blood of Jesus. Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”

Verse 2
Your grace that reaches far and wideTo every tribe and nationHas called my heart to enter inThe joy of Your salvation

Psalm 51:12-13: “Restore to me the joy of your salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.” God's steadfast love extends mercy to those with a repentant and contrite heart, as David displays in Psalm 51.

Verse 3
Your grace that I cannot explainNot by my earthly wisdomThe Prince of life, without a stainWas traded for this sinner

John 1:16-17: “For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.”
1 John 2:2: “He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.”

Verse 4
Let praise rise up and overflowMy song resound foreverFor grace will see me welcomed homeTo walk beside my Saviour

1 Corinthians 15:9-10 “For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God, I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain…”

Chorus
By grace, I am redeemedBy grace, I am restoredAnd now I freely walkInto the arms of Christ, my Lord

Titus 2:11-14  “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.”

Matthew Henry writes of this passage in Titus, “This Gospel grace brings salvation. That is why it is called the word of life;  it brings people to faith, and so to life.”
What a great reminder to us that we don’t earn salvation. Rather, we live as those who’ve been saved, and it’s all because of grace.

Comments

Popular Posts

Jesus Is Alive

Awake My Heart With Gladness

There Is A Fountain